Thursday, December 3, 2009

Old Song with memories

My kids and I are learning the Primary songbook version of Away in a Manger. It's a very nice version but it holds memories for me - sort of painful and embarrassing. When I was in college, sophomore year, I roomed with three wonderful girls that I still consider good friends. For a talent show at Church they wanted to sing this song and I agreed to do it with them. Unfortunately, I didn't practice enough and wasn't well enough prepared. Couple that with my fear of performing and it really didn't go well. In fact, I started to laugh and couldn't get it under control. I'm sure it would have been better for me to walk away and let them finish but that didn't occur to me at the time. So I stood there, with my dear roommates, and laughed. Not the big out loud laughter, thank goodness, but I certainly wasn't adding. Fortunately, one of our guy friends in the audience knew the song and he started to sing and so did some other people. I'm not sure how many remember this, but every time I practice this song with my kids at night, I wish I had done better back then.

2 comments:

Kammerman Family said...

Wow, I didn't even remember that happening. Was i there? Love u tons!
LA

KT said...

Hi, my name is Katie Taylor. Kellie and Brett (Berkenshaw?) referred me to you. My family and I will be going down to the island in May and I was hoping for some help and advice. We have three young kids and I'm happy to hear that it is possible to live down there with children. My email is katie.kt9@gmail.com and I'd love to hear from you. Right now, I'm hoping for help with a place to live. Thanks!