Thursday, February 26, 2009

Bit of the English side.

I decided to try making English muffins. After looking at a recipe I decided they couldn't be all that hard and I had all the ingredients so that was a bonus. I started a bit late and realized I was in trouble when I got to the part "let rise until double, 1 hour." Oops. Well, dinner would be late. I made a double batch of the recipe because I wanted to make sure I made enough to feed the entire family. (I really hate it when we are done with all the food and my kids look at me and say, "What else can I have?") We made it through the first rising and then once they were cut out they had to rest for 45 minutes. We ended up making 60+ small muffins. I think that'll be enough...


Then you have to dry fry them on both sides twice for a total of 16 minutes on medium heat. It went fine for the ones I made for dinner but I only cooked 27 at that time. The rest of the muffins had to wait (continuing to rise) until I got the kids to bed, so that was an extra 3 hours. When I finally got to them they looked great, puffy and just great. It was when I touched them that I became very frustrated... They were sticky on the edges, so they started to deflate instantly and more so as I tried to get them to the pan and unstuck from my fingers. Oh bother. I cooked them all anyway. I was a little frustrated and irritated but maybe my kids would eat them anyway.



The next morning I decided we would be having English muffins for breakfast. We were all excited about the change in menu and I hoped they would be okay. I was happily surprised to find them very much like the muffin we would get back in the States. They were smaller and thinner but the texture was the same and they tasted great! I toasted them just enough to warm them and get them slightly crispy. (If I toasted them too long they would just get hard because they were so thin, especially cut in half.) I put butter and honey on them for the kids and jam on mine and they were yummy! I'll have to try putting them on the bottom of the cookie sheets so that I can get to them easier... We'll try it again.


1 comment:

Stacey said...

I think you are completely amazing! I love english muffins, I may have to try to make them!