Friday, July 24, 2009

Happy Pioneer Day!

Well, we didn't do much. There was no pageant to attend. No parade or fanfare. We weren't invited to any bar-b-ques or potluck dinner. We talked about it at the beginning of the day and then actually forgot. Finally, while the kids were writing in their journals Marissa says, "We forgot to do the pioneer games." So, when all the journals were done, the kids sat down while I gathered some things. I let them play the stick pull game and Kemiah really liked it, although she didn't quite understand and would let go of the stick. (Two people sit on the floor facing each other. They Put the bottom of their feet together and put legs straight. Hands meet in the middle grabbing onto a stick. At go they both pull, trying to pull the other up off their bottom.) The second game was the sack race. The four older kids got a plastic bag to stand in and they held onto the handles. They hopped around and around. It was more just having fun than actually racing - which was nice. So, that's how we celebrated Pioneer Day in 2009.

On the more serious side, I am so thankful for all that the pioneers did and all that we can learn from them. As I was listening to the Mormon Channel on my computer while doing dishes, they played a lot of General Conference talks that were about pioneers. They shared some neat stories. The thing that touched me the most was the fact that their faith become strong through the trials and hardships they endured. One other thing that stuck in my mind, I can't remember who said it though, was that we can have a testimony but if we don't do anything then it doesn't do us any good. We have to act upon our testimony and serve those around us to show our testimony. I'll work on that.

2 comments:

Stacey said...

Sounds like you guys had a great Pioneer day! I love reading about your family!

The Fredericks said...

I love this picture- mostly because Ben looks so embarassed- cute cute cute! :)